Dorm Room_4

A home is a very basic need that we want in place for our sons and daughters.  Everyone asks themselves the question, “Where will I live?” and for young adults with disabilities the question takes on added meaning.  It requires additional questions: “How can I get the money I need to pay the rent or mortgage?”  “How can I get the supports I need to get dressed and make meals each day?”  “Does it make sense, is it possible to leave the family home?”  In the past, many individuals with disabilities continued to live at home, in group homes or in intermediate care facilities (nursing home-type settings).  Disability advocates are developing new ways of achieving independent living for adults with disabilities.  Some actions need to be taken now and some options require investigation and planning for the future. 

Things to be done now:

  • Contact your local Pre-Admission Screening/Independent Service Coordination Agency (PAS/ISC) and ensure that a PUNS (Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services) is in place for your son or daughter.  Call 888-337-5267 (Voice) or 866-376-8446 (TTY) to find the agency in your area.
  • Begin talking with family and friends about your ideas of where and how you want to live
  • Utilize the resources below to explore innovative possibilities to living independently.


The Mayors Office for Persons with Disabilities, Housing Services; 121 N. LaSalle St., Room 104, Chicago, Il, 60602, 312-743-1523, Hotline: 311, TTY 312-744-7833, www.cityofchicago.org/disabilities

Community Service Options, Inc., 6845 S. Western Ave., Chicago, IL, 1-888-276-4467, to complete the PUNS

Community Alternatives Unlimited: Provides independent case management services to people with disabilities at 8765 West Higgins Road, Suite 300, Chicago, IL 60631-2793, 773- 867-4000, www.cau.org

Illinois Association of Microboards & Cooperatives, www.managiningtheartofliving.org, Local organizer: Teri Steinberg, Phone: 847-831-4540, e-mail: Teri_steinberg@yahoo.com

Access Living, Works for affordability, accessibility and integrated housing., 115 West Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60610, 312-640-2159

Progress Center, Provides help with housing issues for people with disabilities in the Chicago suburbs, 7521 Madison St., Forest Park, IL 60130, 708-209-1500, info@progresscil.org, TTY 708-209-1826, www.progresscil.org

Anixter Center, Residential Services, 2001 N. Clybourn Ave., 3rd Floor, Chicago, IL 60614, 773-761-1501, askanixter@anixter.org, www.anixter.org